Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Brokeback Mountain

A few days ago I took a sick day from work.
Blame it on my inability to cook.
Not being able to do much else I watched movies all day curled up on the couch.

I decided to plug in "Brokeback Mountain." It'd been forever since I'd seen the movie, and apart from the obvious storyline, gay cowboy love story, I didn't remember much about it.
Much of the film takes place on fictional Brokeback Mountain in Wyoming. For a big chunk of the movie Heath Ledger's character, Ennis, lives in Riverton, Wyoming.

I remember when the film came out and all of the hullaballo surrounding it. On a visit to my dad's I started talking about the film and asked my dad what the buzz was in Wyoming. I fully expected to hear something about how the conservative people of Wyoming were upset that a film about it's beloved cowboy, set in its beloved state would include immoral values. (their words, not mine).

But to my surprise the first thing out my dad's mouth was how people were upset is was filmed in Canada and NOT Wyoming.

I couldn't stop laughing. In fact while writing this post I can't stop smiling.

It was a great testament to the people of Wyoming and the pride they take in their state that no matter the subject matter, if you're gonna make a film set in Wyoming it had sure as hell be filmed in Wyoming!
However, I'm fully aware that there are probably a number of people in Wyoming who do care about subject matter. Their loss, because the movie is spectacular and the scenery (while set in Canada) is very reminiscent of actual Wyoming country.

P.S. On a Heath Ledger note, no doubt he's taking the trophy on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment