
After my first winter here, it's officially spring now, I have realized one thing.
I like snow BEFORE Christmas.
Snow before Christmas adds to the season. It makes songs like "Winter Wonderland," "White Christmas," and "Let it Snow," a little more relevant. It's romanticized and when shoveling snow or scraping ice, it's all O.K. because in a few weeks it's Christmas. Holding your warm peppermint mocha while walking out of Starbucks in the snow, seeing Christmas lights bounce off a layer of white and gazing at a layer of fresh now while the sun is rising and then a bunny hops through the scene (this honest to God happened) is magical!
However what I failed to realize, and what I'm sure most people here did, once Christmas is over you still have another four months of this crap. My childlike wonder only lasts for so long.
Last week I was wearing sandals with the window rolled down and this week I'm waiting for my feet to dry after stepping in snow and having to drive 35 mph down a 55 mph road because the ice is so bad.
This is not a good time.
There is nothing magical about snow, AFTER Christmas. There are no songs to celebrate snow in March. Snow doesn't add to the joy of celebrating Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day or Easter. And seriously, what is May Day when there is snow?
It's been a long couple of months and I know there's about a month and a half left of this.
No comments:
Post a Comment